Exam requirements for UK visa types

Find the exam you need for your UK visa application

When applying for a visa to live, work or study in the UK, you may be required to prove your English language skills through a SELT exam (Secure English Language Test).

Depending on the visa type, you will be asked to take a two-skills (Speaking & Listening) or four-skills (Listening Reading, Writing & Speaking) exam, at a specified minimum level. If your English language competence is higher than the minimum requirement set by the UK Home Office, you can take an exam at a level higher than the minimum requirement.

The table below outlines the skills required and the minimum competence level required for each visa type:


Application Type:
  • Family life as a partner of a settled person (Spouse / Partner)
  • Family life as a parent (Parent of a dependent)
  • Representative of an Overseas Business visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa


Application Type:
  • Further Leave to Remain (visa extension):
  • Family life as a partner of a settled person (Spouse/Partner)
  • Family life as a parent (Parent of a dependent)
  • An A2 English language SELT is required for family route Leave to Remain applications after 2.5 years in the UK.


Application Type:
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain — ILR
  • (Settlement/Permanent Residency)
  • British Citizenship (Naturalisation)

All the above exams format as below:

About LanguageCert International ESOL SELT(Speaking & Listening) exam

  • It is a short conversation with a live interlocutor
  • It lasts 8-13 minutes depends on the level
  • Each candidate is examined individually
  • Topics and tasks are based on practical experience

After your exam you will receive a Test Report that shows your score and your unique reference number (URN). If you have met the score required for your UK visa, your need to include your URN in your visa application.
LanguageCert International ESOL (Speaking & Listening) is accepted for UK visa as appropriate.